Home & Family
Breakfast is an important meal for growing children. It is an especially crucial meal for school-age children to eat in order for them to go to school energized and ready to learn. Studies have shown that children who eat breakfast tend to have a higher school attendance, are less tardy, and have fewer hunger-induced stomach aches in the morning. Eating a healthy breakfast can also offer several benefits including more energy, improved concentration, better grades, and help maintaining a healthy weight.
Whether children eat at home or at school, be sure they eat a nutritious breakfast every day. The following are some great breakfast options for school children:
- peanut butter spread on whole-grain toast
- banana slices with iron-fortified cereal and milk or a fortified non-dairy alternative
- instant oatmeal topped with chopped walnuts and sliced strawberries
- a smoothie using milk or a fortified non-dairy alternative, spinach, frozen banana, and nut butter
- a parfait layered with yogurt, whole-grain granola, and blueberries
Live Well Alabama also has several recipes that are great for breakfast and starting the day off on the right foot.