What is the Successful Aging Initiative?
- The Successful Aging Initiative (SAI) program promotes health and estate planning for Alabama’s older adults, families, and caregivers.
- The program uses Seniors CAN, a curriculum that educates older adults on issues such as health, safety, economics, and well-being.
Older adults will learn how to:
- Prepare a will, power of attorney, or an advance directive in the event of illness or death.
- Prepare a spending plan, cut living costs, and avoid financial fraud and scams.
- Safeguard their homes against falls
What is the goal of the Successful Aging Initiative?
The goal of the Successful Aging Initiative program is to help seniors to live as independently as possible during the latter years of life – preferably in their own homes, in good health, and as a valuable member of society.
Facts about Older Adults
- 2 million adults will be 65+ by the year 2060
- 14% or 6.5 million seniors live in poverty
- Falls are the leading cause of injury for older adults
- 1 in 4 adults age 65+ fall each year
- 6 out of 10 adults do not have a will
- 90% of senior scams are committed by family members
(Sources: Census Bureau, AARP, NCOA, & Pew Research Center)
SAI: The Conference
- The Virginia Caples Lifelong Learning Institute (VCLLI) hosts annual statewide SAI conferences.
- These Successful Aging conferences are held in Lauderdale, Madison, Calhoun, Jefferson, Bullock, Elmore and Montgomery counties each year.
- These events allow older adults to gain valuable knowledge and to connect with resources in their communities.
Contact the nearest Urban Extension agent below for more information. Don’t worry if your county isn’t listed, Alabama Extension serves all 67 Alabama counties. Our agents work within a network, providing education opportunities to surrounding areas.
Alabama A&M University
Dr. Dorothy Brandon
Office: (256) 372-5458
Calhoun County Extension Office
Office: (256) 237-1621
Jefferson County Extension Office
Office: (205) 325-5342
Lauderdale County Extension Office
Office: (256) 766-6223
Madison County Extension Office
Office: (256) 536-4779
Mobile County Extension Office
Office: (251) 574-8445
Montgomery County Extension Office
Office: (334) 738-2580
Office: (334) 270-4133