Products & Programs
What is the Successful Aging Initiative?
- The Successful Aging Initiative focuses on helping older adults maintain their quality of life.
- The program provides education that helps seniors “age in place”, helping them to live a healthier and more productive life in their own homes.
- The program considers the whole-health of older adults: mind, body, home environment, and finances.
- The Successful Aging Initiative provides materials and resources that are useful to seniors, caregivers, family members, and community partners.
The Successful Aging Initiative is Online
The Successful Aging Initiative offers online learning experiences for older adults and caregivers. Join us for a public session or reserve a private online series for your group or professional organization. Contact Dorothy Brandon to share your interest in joining us for a future workshop.
Successful Aging Initiative Participants Will Learn How To
- Live independently
- Prepare estate documents (will, power of attorney, and advanced directive)
- Budget money & avoid money scams
- Find local aging resources
- Interpret financial information in health care
What is the Goal of the Successful Aging Initiative?
The goal of the Successful Aging Initiative program is to help seniors to live as independently as possible during the latter years of life – preferably in their own homes, in good health, and as a valuable member of society.
Facts about Older Adults
- 98.2 million adults will be 65+ by the year 2060
- 14% or 6.5 million seniors live in poverty
- Falls are the leading cause of injury for older adults
- 6 out of 10 adults do not have a will
- 90% of senior scams are committed by family members
(Sources: Census Bureau, AARP, NCOA, & Pew Research Center)
SAI: The Conference
The SAI Conference: Successful Aging Initiative (SAI) holds annual one-day conferences across the state for older adults, their families, caregivers, and local service providers. These SAI conferences are open to the public and designed to address issues impacting Alabama’s older adults.
Conference attendees will learn basics from the Successful Aging Initiative program: how to make informed decisions, maintain independence, be active members of society, and improve quality of life. In addition, guest speakers, hands-on presentations and a community building luncheon work to celebrate aging.
Contact us to share your interest in joining a future in-person or online workshop. We can customize the workshops to meet the needs of your group, professional organization, or classroom.
Alabama Extension serves all 67 Alabama counties. If your county isn’t listed below, contact the nearest county on the list or the program specialist in the state office.
Urban Centers - Successful Aging Initiative
|Anniston||Calhoun County Extension Office||Bre Steele||(256) email@example.com|
|Birmingham||Nkenge Hyter||(205) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Florence||Lauderdale County Extension||Darlene Minniefield||(256) email@example.com|
|Huntsville||Madison County Extension||Donna Gullatte||(256) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mobile||Mobile County Extension||Pamela Irby||(251) email@example.com|
|Montgomery||Montgomery County Extension||Ciji Griffin||(334) firstname.lastname@example.org|