Home & Family
These boats will have the family riding on a river of flavor! Live Well Alabama’s Spaghetti Squash Boats brings together squash, kale, onions, and ground turkey sausage for multiple waves of flavor.
Tips: Rinse and massage kale between your fingers for a few minutes to make it softer. Cook spaghetti squash in the microwave to save time. Place squash halves cut side down in a dish with an inch of water and cook until you can shred flesh into strands with a fork (about 5 to 10 more minutes).
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey sausage
- 4 cups kale, torn into bite-sized pieces with stems removed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Microwave squash for a few minutes until it becomes softer and easier to cut.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Place squash halves cut side up on a baking sheet. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in oven for 45 to 50 minutes until fork tender. Let cool.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic powder and cook for 5 minutes. Add sausage and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring regularly, until sausage is brown and cooked through. Add kale, stir, and cook for a few more minutes until wilted. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Use fork to scrape inside of cooled spaghetti squash and shred it into strands. Add spaghetti squash strands to skillet and stir to combine with sausage and kale.
- Spoon mixture into squash shells for serving.
For more Live Well Alabama recipes, visit LiveWellAlabama.com.
Click here to view the USDA Nondiscrimination Statement.