Home & Family
As warmer seasons turn into fall and winter, this Live Well Alabama’s Classic Cabbage Soup is the perfect recipe to warm up the home. The recipe is loaded with nutrients and flavor to help with cooler evenings.
Tips: Make this soup stretch further by adding your favorite cooked pasta, rice, potatoes, or meat. Did you know that green cabbage is high in vitamin C? This nutrient-rich soup will help you stay warm and well!
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 14 ounces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cabbage to pot and cook until it starts to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients to pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf before serving.
For more Live Well Alabama recipes, visit LiveWellAlabama.com.