What kinds of snacks do you eat during the day? Some snacks make you hungrier than you were before. If you eat a healthy snack between meals, you can avoid feeling hungry. And if you’re not hungry, you won’t be as tempted to overeat. Eating healthy snacks will also help to keep up your energy. People who eat regular meals and healthy snacks are less likely to overeat than people who skip meals. Don’t snack on candy bars or soda. Look for foods that contain whole grains, and combine them with protein such as peanut butter or low-fat yogurt or cheese.
Smart Snacking Strategies
- Prepare healthy snacks in advance. This will help avoid those last-minute decisions that may not always be a healthy choice.
- Pack healthy snacks to eat away from home.
- Don’t forget variety. Choose a variety of healthy snacks for a well-balanced meal plan.
Healthy Snack Ideas
- Whole-grain crackers with low-fat cheese and apple slices.
- Whole-grain cereal with nuts and dried cranberries.
- Pretzels with carrot sticks and low-fat ranch dip.
- Low-fat yogurt with strawberries.
- Graham crackers and grapes with a glass of skim milk.
- Reduced-fat popcorn with a fresh orange.
- Whole-grain muffin with blueberries and a cup of low-fat cocoa.
- Whole-wheat pita with vegetables and reduced-fat dip.