- Families and Children Publications
- Youth Development Programming
- eXtension Just In Time Parenting Newsletters
- Quality Child Care External Resources
- Healthy Couple Relationships
- Alabama Healthy Marriage & Relationship Education Initiative
- National Stepfamily Resource Center
- National Extension Relationship & Marriage Education Network (NERMEN)
- Urban Family Network: A Look at Alabama Families
- Additional External Resources
- Contact Our Local Staff
- 09/17 - Repairing Your Credit Score
- 09/22 - FCD Scopia Meeting
- 09/22 - Prichard S.A.I.L. Center-Blue book worday
- 09/23 - Annie's Project
- 09/24 - "Hidden Dangers" Kids&Kin
- 09/25 - Annie's Project
- 09/29 - Central Alabama Fair
- 09/30 - Annie's Project
- 09/30 - Central Alabama Fair
- 10/01 - Central Alabama Fair
Healthy relationships. Strong families. Capable kids.
New Report Shows High Prevalence of Adverse Experiences among Children: What Does it Mean for Alabama?
Building Family Strengths
These are stressful times for families. Most families face difficult strains on time, money, and emotions. Sometimes homes become the place where everyone is worn-out or angry. But, in spite of these difficulties, there are ways that our families can remain strong and happy.
What makes some families strong? Researchers have worked on answers to this question for years. This publication discusses six of the most important of these family strengths. It also provides activities that may help build or improve these strengths in your family.
As you read about each of these family strengths, decide where your family is already strong. Then identify one area where you want to be stronger. It is probably not a good idea to work on several areas at once, as the family might get overwhelmed. Work on developing one identified area at a time. In addition to using the exercise in this publication, you might invite family members to suggest ways to build in the area that you are working on. more...