- Helping Adolescents, Young Adults & Families
- Beginning Education Early (B.E.E.)
- Early Childhood Resources
- Family Childcare Partnerships
- Urban Family Network: A Look at Alabama Families
- Financial Programs
- Related Publications
- Alabama Community Healthy Marriage Initiative
- National Stepfamily Resource Center
- National Extension Relationship & Marriage Education Network (NERMEN)
- Other Resources
- 03/11 - PROSPER: Strengthening Families
- 03/11 - AU CYFAR - Strengthening Families - East Law Middle
- 03/12 - Tuscaloosa County High Relationship Smarts Plus
- 03/13 - All Stars Demopolis Middle School
- 03/13 - Date Night
- 03/13 - Eat Healthy, Be Active Workshops
- 03/14 - Chilton County Water Festival
- 03/14 - Relationship Smarts Adult
- 03/14 - BOOKS, BALLS AND BLOCKS-Child Development Screenings
- 03/15 - Mastering the Mysteries of LOVE
In this wired, fast-paced world, Extension educators are working to provide Alabamians of all ages and backgrounds with practical, research-based knowledge and skills they need to build stronger, healthier family relationships.
Building Family Strengths
These are stressful times for families. Most families face difficult strains on time, money, and emotions. Sometimes homes become the place where everyone is worn-out or angry. But, in spite of these difficulties, there are ways that our families can remain strong and happy.
What makes some families strong? Researchers have worked on answers to this question for years. This publication discusses six of the most important of these family strengths. It also provides activities that may help build or improve these strengths in your family.
As you read about each of these family strengths, decide where your family is already strong. Then identify one area where you want to be stronger. It is probably not a good idea to work on several areas at once, as the family might get overwhelmed. Work on developing one identified area at a time. In addition to using the exercise in this publication, you might invite family members to suggest ways to build in the area that you are working on. more...