Products & Programs
Resource for youth ages 5–18
Developing tools to reduce bullying through empathy & understanding.
The National Center for Education Statistics reports that each year in America, 1 in 4 children are bullied. Bullying causes physical & emotional harm in children. The HYPE program works by promoting empathy as a method of bullying prevention. The HYPE sessions identify the 4 types of bullying (verbal, social, physical and cyberbullying) and practice strategies to stop bullying when it happens.
What is the goal of HYPE?
- HYPE works to build a safe school environment by decreasing harassment, victimization & bullying.
What is HYPE?
- HYPE is the acronym for Helping Youth Promote Empathy.
- HYPE is a series of 6 lessons designed to reduce bullying in schools & communities.
- Each lesson includes videos and role-playing scenarios that encourage youth to talk about bullying and bullying behaviors.
- Participants learn how to identify bullying behaviors, develop intervention strategies to combat bullying, and recognize the impact bullying & violence have on mental health.
Who is HYPE for?
- HYPE works with all school-age children, 5-18.
- The HYPE series can be reserved for your classroom or other youth groups.
How much does HYPE cost?
- The HYPE program is absolutely free.
- Alabama Extension personnel will come to your class or community facility.
- We take care of everything for the session from set-up, teaching the session, and follow-up data analysis.
For more information, or to reserve a HYPE series, contact an Extension agent listed below.
If you do not see your county listed, contact the State Office. Alabama Extension serves all 67 Alabama counties.
Alabama A&M University
Dr. Angela Williams
Office: (256) 372-5713
Lauderdale County Extension Office
Office: (256) 766-6223
Madison County Extension Office
Office: (256) 532-1578
Mobile County Extension Office
Office (251) 574-8445
Montgomery County Extension Office
Office: (334) 270-4133
Morgan County Extension Office
Office: (256) 773-2549
Tuscaloosa County Extension Office
Office: (205) 349-4630