Lawn & Garden
This raised bed supply list is a part of the Alabama Extension Grow More, Give More project.
- 4′×8′×10″ (minimum depth) raised garden bed*
- Eight bags potting soil mix (2 cubic feet each)
- Eight bags soil conditioner (fine ground bark mulch; 2 cubic feet each)
- Four bags composted manure OR mushroom compost (2 cubic feet each)
- Three bags coarse shredded mulch (for soil moisture retention; 2 cubic feet each)
- 3 pound bag gypsum** (for summer garden)
- 3 to 4 pound bag granular fertilizer for vegetable gardens
- Insecticidal soap (for soft-bodied insects)
- Bt dust or spray (organic sourced insecticide for controlling caterpillars, aka worms)
- Fungicide (fungal plant diseases can seriously impact plant health)
- Sturdy tomato cage, twine, or other way to support large or climbing plants
Seeds or transplants for early spring and late summer planting (mature plants cannot tolerate high heat): beets, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, collards, lettuce, mustard greens, radishes, spinach, and turnips
Seeds or transplants for late spring and summer planting (cannot tolerate frost): cucumber, eggplant, peppers, tomato, and zucchini
Check “The Alabama Vegetable Gardener” at www.aces.edu for a complete listing of crops and planting dates.
Helpful tools include:
- hose, nozzle, or watering can to transport water to garden area
- gardening gloves
- hand trowel
- hand cultivator
*Raised beds can be constructed from preassembled kits or various materials you may already have on hand. Limestone may be needed depending on the soil/potting mix you choose. Find more information at “Raised Bed Gardening,” Extension publication ANR-1345 (www.aces.edu/blog/topics/lawn-garden/raised-bed-gardening/).
**Using the ratio of compost to potting mix should give a balanced pH for vegetable growth. Summer crops will still need soil calcium for sturdy fruit production. A 4-foot by 8-foot bed needs 6 cups, or 3 pounds, of gypsum for each summer garden.
- Download a Chinese translation PDF of Raised Bed Supply List, ANR-2882.
- Download a Korean translation PDF of Raised Bed Supply List, ANR-2882.
- Download a Spanish translation PDF of Raised Bed Supply List, ANR-2882.
Bethany O’Rear, Regional Extension Agent, Home Grounds, Gardens, and Home Pests, Auburn University
Reviewed May 2022, Raised Bed Supply List, ANR-2664