Home & Family
Here’s a new twist on a classic recipe. Live Well Alabama’s Bell Pepper Nachos adds more vegetables to this grab-and-go snack but doesn’t hold back on the flavor. This is the perfect recipe for gatherings or as something new for the family.
Tips: Double or triple this recipe to feed more people. Use your favorite taco seasoning if you don’t have the dry seasonings in this recipe. Look for the low-sodium version if possible.
- 2 large bell peppers (any color)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pinch salt plus 1 teaspoon salt, separate
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ pound ground beef or shredded chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup guacamole or avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons low fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Cut each bell pepper into four pieces, removing the stem and seeds.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add peppers, water, and a pinch of salt. Cover and microwave until the pepper pieces are slightly tender, about 4 minutes. Let cool and arrange on a foil-lined baking sheet, cut sides up.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and add meat, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook until browned.
- Spoon some meat mixture onto each pepper piece. Sprinkle with cheese and broil until cheese melts. Top with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.
For more Live Well Alabama recipes, visit LiveWellAlabama.com.
Click here to view the USDA Nondiscrimination Statement.