Health & Nutrition
Resource for youth & adults. Nutrition and exercise can reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
What is CHAMPION?
- CHAMPION is the acronym for Community Health Aerobic Motivational Program Initiating Optimal Nutrition.
- CHAMPION is a series of lessons designed around making better food choices and adopting a physical activity regime for a healthier life.
- Lessons increase knowledge in nutrition terminology, food labels, understanding health diagnosis, and health literacy.
What is the goal of CHAMPION?
- CHAMPION is designed to improve eating habits and increase physical activity of school-age children and adults of all ages.
- The program focuses on people with limited resources living in urban areas that are at high risk for chronic diseases such as obesity, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and cancer.
Benefits of CHAMPION
- Increase consumption of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat or fat-free dairy products, & lean protein foods.
- Reduce consumption of foods high in fat, sugar and salt.
- Read & understand Nutrition Facts on food labels.
- Reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Increase health literacy to better understand and manage health.
- Increase physical activity to 60 minutes, 5 days a week for youth and 30 minutes, 5 days a week for adults.
- Learn strategies to maintain a healthy weight.
- Participate in six interactive lessons with our Extension agents.
- Complete a pre/post questionnaire and assessment.
- iChoose MyPlate: A representation of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans with a focus on portion control and the five food groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, protein, and dairy
- iChoose a Variety of Food: Reinforces MyPlate by explaining nutrients, balance, variety and moderation.
- iChoose to Move: Introduction of physical activity classes to increase movement and duration. Youth are challenged to create an exercise routine.
- iChoose to Eat Healthy: Demonstrates the effects of fats, sugars, and sodium on the body.
- iChoose to Read My Labels: An exploration of the Nutrition Facts Label to help you understand content within a food product.
- Participate in seven interactive lessons with our Extension agents.
- Complete a pre/post questionnaire and assessment, a 24-hour recall, and an evaluation.
- Weigh-in before and after the program.
- iChoose Nutrition: A representation of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans with a focus on portion control and the five food groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, protein, and dairy
- iChoose to Read the Labels: An exploration of the Nutrition Facts Label to help you understand content within a food product to make healthier choices.
- iChoose to Move: Introduction of physical activity classes to increase movement & duration.
- iChoose Good Health: Focus on 1) prevention and intervention of chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases and 2) understanding and communicating health information.
Alabama Extension serves all 67 Alabama counties. If your county isn’t listed below, contact the nearest county on the list or the program Specialist in the State Office.
Urban Centers - CHAMPION Program
|Birmingham||Jefferson County Extension||(205) 325-5342|
|Florence||Lauderdale County Extension|
|Guntersville||Marshall County Extension||Juana Christian||(256) email@example.com|
|Mobile||Mobile County Extension||(251) firstname.lastname@example.org|
MyPlate: CHAMPION uses the USDA MyPlate tool to help illustrate food choice and portion size concepts. www.choosemyplate.gov