Education for teens and adults of all ages. Increasing the knowledge & skills needed to understand personal finance.
What is FLIP?
- FLIP is the acronym for Financial Literacy in Progress.
- The FLIP program helps to improve your financial well-being.
- The program consists of a series of four one-hour lessons that are taught in a group setting.
- Classes are hosted throughout the year at the local Extension office. Contact the office to find out when the next group will start.
- We will come to you! Alabama Extension personnel will come to your class or community facility to deliver lessons or program series.
The average credit card debt in Alabama is $7,105 compared to the national average of $5,700.1
FLIP Lessons Teach People How To
- Implement a rational approach to buying
- Recognize actions or behaviors that lead to debt
- Develop a spending plan/budget
- Build and maintain good credit
- Apply strategies to manage and reduce debt
- Avoid financial fraud and scams
40% of Alabama residents have debt that is near collections status.2
Who can request a FLIP series?
Flip classes can be requested by:
- High school teachers
- Community groups
- Community centers
- Faith-based groups
- Other interested individuals
Contact us to share your interest in joining a future in-person or online workshop. We can customize the workshops to meet the needs of your group, professional organization, or classroom.
Alabama Extension serves all 67 Alabama counties. If your county isn’t listed below, contact the nearest county on the list or the program specialist in the state office.
Urban Centers - FLIP
|Florence||Lauderdale County Extension||Darlene Minniefield||(256) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mobile||Mobile County Extension||Pamela Irby||(251) email@example.com|
|Montgomery||Montgomery County Extension||Ciji Griffin||(334) firstname.lastname@example.org|
PowerPay: FLIP uses PowerPay, an online debt elimination program developed by Utah State University Cooperative Extension. www.powerpay.org
1 Business Insider. (2018, August 9). The average credit card debt in every state, ranked. Retrieved from https://www.businessinsider.com/average-credit-card-debt-in-every-state-ranked-2018-8.
2 Urban Institute. (2014, July 29). 1 in 3 Americans with a credit file has debt reported in collections. Retrieved from https://www.urban.org/1-3-americans-credit-file-has-debt-reported-collections.