Lawn & Garden
Learn—month by month—the necessary gardening activities for lawns and shrubs, annuals and perennials, fruit and nut trees, and bulbs, roots, and tubers. Included is a timeline for activities such as soil testing, planting, pruning, fertilizing, pruning, mulching, indoor plantings—from cauliflower to okra, from camellias to dahlias to heirloom roses.
Fruits and Nuts
- Cut out old blackberry canes after fruiting and then fertilize and cultivate for replacement canes.
- Remember to order new catalogs for fruit selection.
- Propagate woody plants, such as hydrangeas and azaleas, by layering.
- Do not fertilize woody plants in late summer. It will stimulate new growth that might not have time to harden off before winter’s first frost.
- Apply 1 pound nitrogen per 1,000 square feet to bermudagrass and St. Augustinegrass. Skip this month for fertilizing centipedegrass and zoysiagrass.
- Mow often (every 5 to 10 days) to remove just 1/3 the grass height at each mowing.
- Water lawns as needed (grayish color or curling leaf blades).
- Stop fertilizing warm-season turf types at the end of the month.
- Keep roses healthy and actively growing.
- Lightly prune hybrid teas and floribundas to prevent a scraggly appearance.
- Old-fashioned roses will experience second bloom flush, so no need to prune these types.
Annuals and Perennials
- Water as needed. Plant perennials and biennials for spring.
- Divide old iris plantings and add new ones.
- Keeping flowers, shrubs, trees, and lawns healthy is the major task during this month.
- Closely observe for insects and diseases.
- Whole state: Continue planting beans and squash.
- Central and North: Continue planting cole crops, beets, carrots, collards, kale, lettuce, mustard, Swiss chard, parsley, radishes, and turnips.
- South and Central: Plant certified seed potatoes for Irish and red-skinned varieties until mid-month.
- North: Plant cole crop transplants that were started in July.
Call the Master Gardener Helpline at (877) 252-4769. A Master Gardener Extension volunteer is waiting to answer your call.