2 min read
ully protected Applicator with spray backpack walking in a field.

What kind of permit do I need?

  • Commercial Applicator means a permitted applicator who uses or supervises the use of restricted use pesticides and other pesticides for any purpose or on any property and if applied with compensation other than trading of personal services between producers of agricultural commodities. Commercial applicators shall be further identified according to the type of pesticide application they are engaged in.  There are over 20 categories in the state of Alabama for Commercial Applicator Categories, contact the Department of Agriculture to help determine which Permit you need.
  • Private Applicator means a permitted applicator who uses or supervises the use of any pesticide which is classified for restricted use for purpose of producing any agricultural commodity on property owned or rented by him or his employer or (if applied without compensation other than trading of personal services between producers of agricultural commodities) on the property of another person.

Who do I contact to get a Commercial Permit?

How do I get a Private Permit?

  • There are 3 ways to get your Permit, find the nearest training available through your local Cooperative Extension System Office. If you are unable to attend a training, secure the training manual, application and schedule a testing date with your nearest Cooperative Extension System Office. Your 3rd option is to take the Alabama Private Applicator Online Training Program through our office.

When is testing or training offered for a Commercial Permit?

  • Testing for a commercial license is offered throughout the year, see the Alabama Department of Agriculture, visit their website for approved online training options and scheduled approved testing dates.

How many points (CEUs) do I have and when does my license expire?

Where can I get the study materials to study for the tests?

  • Commercial and Private applicators can buy their study material through our store, some books are available to print, some are purchased through outside sources. Please search for your specific category to find a list of necessary materials and documents.

What is required to claim Reciprocity from another state?

  • Alabama has developed reciprocal agreements with seven other states to allow applicators certified in those states to obtain an Alabama permit without being tested. Those states are: Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi, Ohio, South Carolina, and Tennessee. All other states must contact the Department of Ag for further information. Please download and complete the Application for Reciprocal Commercial Pesticide Applicator Certification from the Alabama Department of Agriculture.
  • NOTE: General Standards/CORE (GS) is required for all categories except Wood Treatment (WT),  Ornamental and Turf Pest Control (OTPS), and Right-of-Way Pest control (ROW). The Mode of Application (Ground and/or Aerial) must be certified as well, unless otherwise noted.


Did you find this helpful?