Business & Community
Volunteer. Give Back. Make a Difference.
We need your help as we work to
- Build strong families & communities
- Promote healthy eating, exercise, and food safety
- Reduce bullying and enhance leadership skills
- Promote home & community gardens and enhance green living spaces
- Support entrepreneurship and strengthen job search & career-building skills
- Foster environmental stewardship and natural resource preservation
- Link older adults to resources
- Promote financial stability
What is VIP?
- VIP is the acronym for Volunteer In Urban Programs.
- The purpose of VIP is to promote, expand, and support urban Extension programs.
- VIP recruits youth & adults to implement urban Extension programs. Training is free and service is rewarded.
- You can commit to volunteer as much or as little as you want. We have projects big and small. We will match your available time, interests and skills to impactful projects.
Volunteer Opportunity Examples: Serve on an Extension Advisory committee to strengthen and improve program efforts. Provide clerical assistance. Serve as a judge or facilitator. Work as part of an organized group for events and conferences.
What is Urban Extension?
Urban Extension is a national term that is taking on more and more traction as populations shift from rural areas to more highly concentrated urban areas. While Extension has always offered financial, natural resources, gardening, agriculture, and health & nutrition classes, these courses are now being adapted to the specific needs of urban communities. Rural individuals may need information on large plot gardening and traditional composting, urban residents with less land available might be more interested in container gardening and vermiculture (small-scale composting with worms). Urban Extension is the term used to describe the programs and resources developed specifically for urban and suburban audiences.
Alabama Extension at AAMU provides urban Extension products and services to meet the needs of Alabama’s urban and suburban residents. Operating out of nine urban centers across Alabama, we work within a network of experts, educators and volunteers to make an impact throughout all 67 Alabama counties.
We Expect our VIPs to
- Participate in orientation.
- Network with other volunteers across the state of Alabama.
- Promote and facilitate the work of urban Extension programs.
Benefits of Becoming an Urban Extension VIP
- Give back to the community
- Meet new people and discover new interests
- Gain experience and enhance your resume
- Receive professional experience or training
- Receive recognition for your hours of service
Reach out to a specialist below from the program areas that interest you to discover unique volunteer opportunities. Need more programming information? Check out our Products & Services page to get a better idea of the programs that we offer.
Alabama Extension at Alabama A&M University Program Specialists
|Program Area||Educator||Phone Number|
|Community Resource Development||(256) email@example.com|
|Family & Child Development||(256) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Forestry, Wildlife & Natural Resources||Karnita Garner||(256) email@example.com|
|Health & Nutrition||Andrea Morris||(256) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Health & Nutrition||Tamara Warren||(256) email@example.com|
|Lawn & Garden||Rudy Pacumbaba||(256) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Personal Financial Management||(256) email@example.com|
|Urban Agriculture||Valens Niyigena||(256) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Urban Agriculture||Rudy Pacumbaba||(256) email@example.com|
|4-H Youth Development||Angela Williams||(256) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|General Volunteer Inquiries||Shanetria Brown||(256) email@example.com|