Join the Alabama Cooperative Extension System’s home grounds team for the 2023 Community Garden Expo on Tuesday, Feb. 21 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event will take place at Birmingham Botanical Garden’s Lecture Hall located at 2612 Lane Park Road in Birmingham, Alabama 35223.
Theme & Activities
The 2023 theme is Getting it Right from the Start and topics will include:
- Why Start a Community Garden and Who Should be Involved?
- Dollars: Funding, Budgeting and Sustainability
- The Rules: Zoning, Liability Protection and By-Laws
- The Big Picture: Siting (sun, water, grade, access, outbuildings)
- Site Preparation (bed design, soil testing and amendment, infrastructure)
- Plant Selection and Installation
- Maintenance: Fertilization, Pest, and Disease Management
The 2023 Community Garden Expo will also feature exciting activities and exhibits by local vendors and Alabama Extension staff. It’s a great time to network with other gardeners and potential community garden organizers in the region.
Who Should Attend
This event is ideal for small urban farmers, neighborhood garden groups, and individuals that would like to produce fresh fruits and vegetables for their local communities.
Admission is $10.00 and all participants are asked to pre-register at https://www.aces.edu/go/CommunityGardenExpo2023.
For More Information
Contact Bethany O’Rear at 205.612.9524 or email@example.com or Rudy Pacumbaba at 256.425.8683 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.