Products & Programs
Something for Everyone
Gardeners quickly learn that success is often cyclical—determined by rain, drought, bounty and disease. However, novice gardeners, and those just curious about gardening, have a lot to learn, and we can all help to bridge that knowledge gap.
A group of Alabama Extension horticulture agents and Extension Master Gardener volunteers are promoting community-based gardening in 2020.
How It Will Work
Beginning in May, Extension agents will distribute teaching videos and kit plans for growing vegetables at home. For example, to grow tomatoes in a 5-gallon bucket, Extension will suggest supplies needed, where to place it, when to plant it and how to maintain it. The same will be true for other crops such as beans, greens, cucumbers and peppers. Plans for large containers, raised beds and in-ground rows will also be addressed.
Information will be delivered via a variety of platforms.
- Brief on-line tutorials via videos on the Alabama Extension website
- Resources and information on the Extension website
- One-on-one assistance through the Master Gardener Helpline at (877)252-4769
- Social media posts
Plans are still being finalized on the Give More aspect of the program, but people who grow more than they can use are encouraged to share with neighbors or donate to a local food assistance effort.
So let’s get growing! Whether a backyard garden is a new interest, or you have experience, we have answers for your garden.
Grow More, Give More Supply Lists
Grow More, Give More Resources
- Add Garlic to Your Garden
- Alabama Vegetable Gardener
- Backyard Composting
- Backyard Tomato Production
- Basics of Fall Vegetable Gardening
- Blossom-End Rot in Tomatoes: Causes and Prevention
- Freezing Summer’s Bounty of Vegetables
- Growing Lettuce in Spring or Fall
- Garden Bugs Part 1
- Garden Bugs Part 2
- Garden Bugs Part 3
- Planting Guide for Home Gardening in Alabama
- Pest and Beneficial Insects
- Raised Bed Gardening
Grow More, Give More Videos
The Grow More, Give More videos are brief tutorials that help guide participants through the project. View the videos on the content piece Grow More, Give More Videos.