The 4-H Forestry program helps youth to gain a strong understanding of trees, forest management, and environmental issues. It also provides hands on learning experiences that helps individuals develop skills to become better managers of forested land.
4-H Forestry offers Junior and Senior level opportunities. Participants will learn how to manage and conserve a variety of forest habitats by acquiring skills in tree species identification, timber measurement, insect and disease identification, compass and pacing, and evaluating forest growth.
We Want to Help Youth to:
- Develop awareness and appreciation of the need and importance of conserving natural resources.
- Acquire information and understanding of practical forestry skills.
- Develop citizenship and leadership knowledge and skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills by participating in state-level forestry judging activities.
- Receive recognition for accomplishments.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Forest habitat management and conservation
- Identification of tree species
- Tree Measurement
- Identification of forest insects and diseases
- Compass and Pacing
- Forest stand evaluation
- Critical thinking, decision making, communication, and team building skills
For questions about accessibility or to request accommodations, contact Extension Communications and Marketing at 334-844-5696 or email@example.com.