Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
Whether you grow crucifer crops in the open field or a high tunnel, one insect pest that has become universally damaging on small organic farms is the yellowmargined leaf beetle (YMLB). This presentation provides you with information about the basic life cycle and scouting techniques for the yellowmargined leaf beetle. It also gives an introduction to trap crop as a management tool. (Project funded by OREI Grant 2011)
Additional Videos on YMLB
- Managing Yellowmargined Leaf Beetle in Crucifer Crops
- IPM in Crucifer Crops: Focus on the Yellow-margined Leaf Beetle
Additional Resources for Controlling YMLB
- Identifying and controlling the yellowmargined leaf beetle (VSC News, August 30, 2017)
- Insect Pest Scouting for Crucifer Crops – ANR-2241
- Biology, ecology, and management of yellowmargined leaf beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) in organic crucifer production (Journal of IPM, January 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 1).
- Yellowmargined leaf beetle control with organic insecticides in turnips (Arthropod Management Tests, 2017)
Follow the Alabama Vegetable IPM Facebook page for more information.