If digital photographs of a pond weed sample are not adequate and physical samples have been requested, follow these steps to ensure that they arrive in good condition for identification.
- Soak a paper towel with pond or tap water.
- Squeeze the excess water out. The paper towel should be damp.
- Take a sample of the weed. Try to include leaves, stem, roots, and flowers. The more parts of the plant you can provide, the better.
- Place the sample in the damp paper towel.
- Fold the weed sample in the damp paper towel.
- Place the wrapped sample in a zip-top bag. Leave the bag open.
- Label the sample with your name and phone number, including area code. This is the contact information used to give results and recommendations.
- Package the sample in an appropriate container, such as a box or mail pouch, and mail to your county Extension office.