If digital photographs of a pond weed sample are not adequate and physical samples have been requested, follow these steps to ensure that they arrive in good condition for identification.
1. Soak a paper towel with pond or tap water.
2. Squeeze the excess water out. The paper towel should be damp.
3. Take a sample of the weed. Try to include leaves, stem, roots, and flowers. The more parts of the plant you can provide, the better.
4. Place the sample in the damp paper towel.
5. Fold the weed sample in the damp paper towel.
6. Place the wrapped sample in a zip-top bag. Leave the bag open.
7. Label the sample with your name and phone number, including area code. This is the contact information used to give results and recommendations.
8. Package the sample in an appropriate container, such as a box or mail pouch, and mail to your county Extension office.