The Alabama Beginning Farmers project is funded by grants from the USDA Beginning Farmers and Ranchers Development Program (Awards 2015-04598 and 2018-02936). The overall project implementation plan involves collaboration with a wide range of institutions, producer groups, and nonprofit organizations for supporting beginning farmers statewide.
- Provide science-based information and consultation to beginning farmers.
- Support and collaborate with third-party educational programs.
- Develop new educational resources (e-curriculum, phone app, printed materials).
- Sustain a statewide network of producers to strengthen the local food movement that is inclusive of low resource farmers and military veterans.
- Provide evaluation data and annual reports for improvements
Are you interested in farming but don’t know where to start? Watch this basic video about beginning farmer educational resources and on-farm assistance services.