What is BQA?
Beef Quality Assurance (BQA) is a nationally coordinated, state implemented program that provides systematic information to United States beef producers and consumers. This information is on how common sense husbandry techniques can be coupled with accepted scientific knowledge to raise cattle under optimum management and environmental conditions. BQA guidelines are designed to make certain all beef consumers can take pride in what they purchase and can trust and have confidence in the entire beef industry.
BQA programs have evolved to include best practices around good record keeping and protecting herd health, which can result in more profits for producers. When better quality cows leave the farm and reach the market place, the producer, packer, and consumer all benefit. When better quality beef reaches the supermarket, consumers are more confident in the beef they are buying, and this increases beef consumption.
The efforts of BQA across the nation have been instrumental in recent successes that continue to re-build and sustain beef demand. Through BQA programs, producers recognize the economic value of committing to quality beef production at every level, not just at the feedlot or packing plant, but within every segment of the cattle industry.
The guiding principles of BQA are based on these core beliefs:
- We believe production practices affect consumer acceptance of beef.
- We believe the BQA Program has and must continue to empower beef producers to improve the safety and wholesomeness of beef.
- We believe these fundamental principles are the fabric of the BQA Program.
- Empowering people: because cattlemen and women can make a difference.
- Taking responsibility: because it’s our job, not someone else’s.
- Working together: because product safety and wholesomeness is everyone’s business.
Alabama BQA Coordinators
Alabama Cooperative Extension System
210 Upchurch Hall, Auburn, AL 36849
Tuskegee University College of Veterinary Medicine
201 Frederick D Patterson Dr, Tuskegee, AL 36088
Alabama BQA Resources
National BQA Program
More information and resources can be found on the National Beef Quality Assurance page at www.bqa.org.