The Alabama 4-H Grows Garden Project offers young people hands-on gardening experiences. Each tier, or level, provides a different gardening experience by directly engaging in getting-their-hands-dirty gardening education.
Tier I addresses issues including limited gardening experience and limited access to garden space. Youth enrolled in the tier I project will also receive three 5-gallon buckets, soil, and three Bonnie Plants (Green Griller Zucchini, Sweet and Neat Tomato, and Bonnie Green Bell Pepper) or comparable plants. In addition, the focus will be on learning to garden and incorporating fresh vegetables into family meals. Participants will also be required to keep a gardening journal.
Tier II continues the development of gardening skills while providing gardening experiences that promote production and the comparison of multiple varieties and increased number of plants. The summer project will include the following types of plants: tomato (3), bell pepper (2), banana pepper (2), jalapeno pepper (2), zucchini (2), yellow squash (2), or comparable plants. The focus will continue to be on learning to garden, incorporating fresh vegetables into family melas, and also adding a community component requiring the participant to donate 10 percent of produce grown to the community. Participants will be required to keep a gardening journal.
Who Can Participate?
Any youth, 9–18 years old by January 1, 2019, may participate in either the tier I or tier II Alabama 4-H Grows Garden Project. To participate, youth will need to sign up by May 3 using 4HOnline. When signing in to 4HOnline, choose either the tier I or tier II garden project. Because this is a pilot project, we will be limiting the number of participants (individual or clubs) to 30 for tier I and 40 for tier II during the summer of 2019.
Alabama 4-H Grows resource materials include:
- Click to download a printable PDF of 4HYD-2318 Alabama 4-H Grows Handbook.
- Click to download a printable PDF of 4HYD-2351 Alabama 4-H Grows Tier I Garden Journal.
- Click to download a printable PDF of 4HYD-2347 Alabama 4-H Grows Tier II Garden Journal.
- Click to download a printable PDF of 4HYD-2346 Alabama 4-H Grows Garden Project Tier I & II Flyer.
- Click to download a printable PDF of 4HYD-2342 Alabama 4-H Grows Sweet Potato Challenge Gardening Journal.
- Click to download a printable PDF of 4HYD-2317 Alabama 4-H Grows Sweet Potato Challenge Flyer.
For questions about accessibility or to request accommodations, contact Extension Communications and Marketing at 334-844-5696 or firstname.lastname@example.org.