- Make Your Own Rain Barrel
- Rainwater Harvesting Workshops
- Examples of Systems in Alabama
- System Components
- Use, Storage, & Distribution
- System Design & Costs
- Related Publications
- Water Wheels Mobile Conservation Lab
- Contact Us
- Rainwater Harvesting Home
Rainwater Collection is the harvesting and storage of rainwater. Harvested rainwater can be used for domestic purposes and irrigation and is usually collected from rooftops, greenhouses, pool covers and other relatively clean surfaces.
How to make a simple rain barrel using a food grade olive barrel.
Larger and more complicated systems can be used for large gardens or commercial production.
This stored water can be used for irrigation, flushing toilets, or washing cars; however, it is not potable and requires extensive treatment for use as tap water. Rainwater collection demonstration projects led by Dr. Cathy Sabota, Extension Horticulturist for ACES, has helped participants collect over 125,000 gallons of water! That's enough water to supply... 31 homes for one month... 3 homes for ONE YEAR... or production of 1000 lbs. of vegetables!
- Learn about making your own small-scale rain barrel!
- Find out about Rainwater Harvesting Workshops!
- Learn about examples of Rainwater Harvesting Systems in Alabama!
- Get details about the components of a Rainwater Harvesting system!
- Explore how you can use, store, and distribute harvested rainwater!
- Understand steps in Rainwater Harvesting system design and costs!