- Small Farm Stakeholder Group
- New Farmers Discovery Tool
- Operation Grow for Veterans
- Farm Services
- Technical Assistance Providers
- Extension Horticulture Team
- Extension Home Grounds, Garden, and Home Pests Team
- Extension Animal Science and Forages Team
- Extension Agronomic Crops Team
- Extension Farm and Agribusiness Management Team
- Extension Food Safety and Quality Team
- USDA Farm Service Agency
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Training Events
- Educational Resources
- Program Marketing and Evaluation
- Program Homepage
The Alabama Beginning Farmers Project is funded by grants from the USDA Beginning Farmers and Ranchers Development Program (Awards 2015-04598 & 2018-02936). The overall project implementation plan involves collaboration with a wide range of institutions, producer groups, and nonprofit organizations for supporting beginning farmers statewide.
- Provide science-based information and consultation to beginning farmers.
- Support and collaborate with third-party educational programs.
- Develop new educational resources (e-curriculum, phone app, printed materials).
- Sustain a statewide network of producers to strengthen the local food movement that is inclusive of low resource farmers and military veterans.
Are you interested in farming...but don't know where to start?
Watch this basic video about beginning farmer educational resources & on-farm assistance services...
...And watch this video to see how growers have been benefited from the project!!
How to navigate this website? For accessing the national database of beginning farmer resources, use the New Farmers Discovery Tool linked in the navigation column on left. Then, enroll in the Farming Basics Online Course and get your certificate of completion that can be very useful in the future. For on-farm assistance, find the Farm Services tab on the left in order to connect to a Regional Extension Agent and Technical Assistance Provider. Please click on the FSA and NRCS links to find microloan and financial assistance program information. Ssubscribe to the Alabama IPM Communicator e-newsletter for receiving information about crop production, pest management, and educational events near you.
High Tunnel Crop Production Handbook - ANR-2157
(Free digital book download. Contact REA for a print copy.)