Plant Diagnostic Lab
ALFA Agricultural Services
& Research Building
961 South Donahue Drive
Auburn, AL 36849-5624
- 05/25 - Alabama Private Applicator Testing in Region 3
- 06/02 - Plant Propagation at Lewis Academy
- 06/04 - Alabama Private Pesticide Applicator Training Course Region 1
- 06/04 - Autauga Co. Master Gardeners Association Lunch & Learn
- 06/29 - Alabama Private Applicator Testing in Region 3
- 07/02 - Autauga Co. Master Gardeners Association Lunch & Learn
- 07/27 - Alabama Private Applicator Testing in Region 3
- 08/06 - Autauga Co. Master Gardeners Association Lunch & Learn
- 08/07 - Japanese Beetle Webinar (All Bugs Good and Bad 2015 Series)
- 08/18 - Wonderful World of Plants at Lewis Academy
For forms and instructions
visit the Soil Testing Lab's
The Plant Diagnostic Lab provides three major services:
- Plant samples are examined for disease, insect, nutrient, cultural, and herbicide problems.
- Soil samples are analyzed for plant parasitic nematodes.
- Insect samples are identified.
In addition to the above, plant and fungal identifications are also made. After samples are examined, tested, analyzed, and/or identified, Extension Specialists respond with the diagnosis or identification and control recommendation(s). Samples received at the Plant Diagnostic Lab may be examined by plant pathologists, nematologists, entomologists, agronomists, horticulturists, or weed scientists, depending upon the sample. Responses are sent by phone, e-mail, fax, or letter. Generally, our responses are made within one week from the time of sample receipt. Some tests and /analyses require more time. Before sending samples to the lab, consult our publications for more information on the lab and for directions on collecting, packaging and mailing plant, soil, and insect samples (ANR-0450 and ANR-0114) Also, examine and download our plant (ANR-0089), soil nematode (ANR-00F7), and/or insect forms as appropriate. Fill out the form for your sample with as much information as possible. When inadequate samples are sent with inadequate information, diagnoses and analyses and recommendations cannot be made.
Sample service charges
(*Charges are not made on plant, and fungal identifications.)
- For Plant Problem and Disease Diagnosis: $10 - $30, depending upon tests\/analyses required.
- Homeowner sample charges are usually $10 - $15
- Commercial sample charges are usually $20 - $25
- Molecular analysis (with client consultation) $30
- For Insect Identification: $5 - $20, depending upon work done
- Routine identification $5
- Microscopic study $10
- Commercial/industrial samples $20
- For Soil Nematode Analysis: $10
If you have questions, you may contact us:
- Dr. Kassie Conner- Plant Samples - (334) 844-5507
- Kristie Siggers - Soil Nematode Samples - (334) 844-5506
- Dr. Lee Zhang - Sequencing Samples - (334) 844-8576
- Dr. Charles Ray - Insect Samples & Laboratory Supervisor
- Phone: (334) 844-4336 / Fax: (334) 844-4072
*Please note that soil mineral analysis is performed at the Soil Testing Lab which is separate from the Plant Diagnostic Lab. The Soil Testing Lab can be reached at (334) 844-3958.