- 2014 Farm Bill
- Alabama Agriculture Strategic Plan 2015-2020
- Alabama Enterprise Budget Summaries
- Ag Econ Farm Reports
- Profit Profiles of Commodities
- Related Publications
- External Resources
- Abbreviations Used in Market Reports (Off site)
- National Ag Risk Education Library (Off site)
- National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS): Alabama (Off site)
- Southeast Risk Management Education (Off site)
- USDA Resources (Off site)
- Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) (Off site)
- U.S. Quality Standards and Grades for Ag Products (Off site)
- Farmers Markets
- Ag Business Management Home
It's a changing world out there — one that is more competitive than ever, especially for farmers. Extension economists throughout the state are working to equip farmers and livestock producers with the most effective, up-to-date skills to build sustainable, profitable business operations.
Marketing Alternatives for Feeder Cattle
Are you a feeder cattle producer worrying if this year's gross revenues will be enough to cover production expenses? Would you like to find a way to make certain that your operation will cover these expenses and perhaps even lock in a profit? You may be able to achieve this goal using a combination of feeder cattle market alternatives.
Marketing is usually the most difficult management task that the feeder cattle producer has to perform. Proper marketing can make the difference between profit and loss in the feeder cattle business. As is true of production programs and management practices, many marketing alternatives are available to the feeder cattle producer. Most producers spend much of their time and effort improving production practices while spending very little time on the marketing of their product. However, time spent marketing feeder cattle in today's complex economic environment can pay larger dividends than time spent on improving or implementing many production practices. more...
Information & Resources
For Farmers & Consumers