About Washington CountyWashington County was created in 1800 as part of the Mississippi Territory. It was named after George Washington. In 1817, when Congress established the Alabama Territory, St. Stephens in Washington County became the territorial capital. The county seat is now located in Chatom.
The rural county's population is 7,677, with 28 percent black and 66 percent white. Most people over age 25 have completed high school. The county has five elementary schools, one middle school and five high schools.
Every year, the Mowa band of the Choctaw Indians holds a powwow in June. Other tourist attractions include St. Stephens Historical Park. Principal agricultural products in Washington County include forestry, corn, cotton and soybeans. Major industries include chemical production.
The Extension office has five full-time employees and one part-time employee. The 4-H program involves 500 youths. Active programs include Shooting Sports, Master Cattle Producers, Master Gardeners and Nutrition Education. The county's 4-H program involves 600 youth.