Information to Help You. Select one of the following topics below:
Franklin County Native
Dr. Luther Noble Duncan
- President of Alabama Polytechnic Institute(API) now known as Auburn University (1935-1947).
- Instrumental in establishing the (boys) Corn Club throughout the state which would be later known as 4-H.
Duncan Hall - Headquarters of the Alabama Cooperative Extension System (ACES)
Duncan Hall is located on the campus of Auburn University and is named after Dr. Luther Duncan. Limestone from Franklin County was the selected material to construct the building.
About Franklin County
The Alabama Territorial Legislature created Franklin County in 1814, naming the area after Benjamin Franklin. Originally, the county seat was at Russellville. In 1849, it moved to Frankfort until 1879, when it was moved to Belgreen. A courthouse fire in 1890 probably accounted for the relocation to the current county seat of Russellville in 1891.
The rural county's population of 31,288 is five percent black and 90 percent white. Most people over age 25 have completed high school. The county is home to eight elementary schools, two middle schools, five high schools, a technical school and one two-year college.
Tourist attractions in the county include Dismals and Bear Creek lakes. Franklin County's chief agricultural products are cotton, soybeans and corn. The largest industries in the area are poultry processing and durable goods manufacturing.
The Extension office employs four people full time and one person part time. Extension programs also include educational programs for poultry farmers and programs to raise awareness about breast cancer and radon. The 4-H program involves 850 youth.