Sugarcane Aphids Well Established on Sorghum in Central and SE Alabama, Already Sprayed in SW Alabama
About Barbour CountyBarbour County was created Dec. 18, 1832, from former Creek Indian territory and a portion of Pike County. Its borders were altered in 1866 and in 1868. Barbour County was named for Virginia Governor James Barbour. Located in the southeastern section of the state, it is bordered on the east by the Chattahoochee River and Georgia. The county seat, Louisville, was established in 1933 and moved to Clayton in 1934. Today Barbour County has two courthouses, one in Clayton and the other in Eufaula. Six Alabama governors have called Barbour County home.
The rural county's population is 24,000 with 44.5 percent black and 55.5 percent white. The average educational level of Barbour County residents is 11th grade. There are 24 educational outlets in the county--10 elementary schools, eight junior high schools, four high schools, one technical school and one two-year college.
Major agricultural crops in Barbour County include cotton, peanuts, corn and broilers. Major industries are Techsonics, American Building Corp., Charoen Pokphand, TNS Mills and Southeast Lumber Co.
The Extension office has five full-time employees and two part-time employees. Four-H and youth development programs involve 550 young people. Other major Extension programs are agriculture and natural resource development, including forestry and wildlife programs, community resource development, home economics and home horticulture.