Paddle your way to outdoor fun and adventure on the Hatchet and Weogufka creeks in beautiful Coosa County, Alabama. Explore the natural beauty and historical sites along the free-flowing streams that invite adventure.
Scenic float trips
- Miles of pristine beauty
- Whitewater fun
- Historic mill sites
- Bird watching
- Outdoor adventures
The best time to view the Cahaba lilies is around Memorial Day.
- Free public camping is available at designated sites.
- Most float sections can be completed in one day (5-6 hours).
- Both creeks are designated as spurs of the Alabama Scenic River Trail.
- Most photos include GPS coordinates and are referenced in Google Earth.
- Maps are available for free at the Coosa County Extension Office or by mail (small charge for postage and handling).
- March through May is the best time to float because low water levels may become an issue from midsummer to fall.
Distances to Coosa County from around the Southeast:
- Birmingham 66 miles
- Montgomery 42 miles
- Huntsville 167 miles
- Mobile 212 miles
- Atlanta 146 miles
- Chattanooga 175 miles
Important Contact Numbers
- Coosa County Extension Office (256) 377-4713
- Coosa County Sheriff’s Office (256) 377-2211
- Coosa Valley Medical Center (256) 401-4000
- Alexander City Rescue Squad (256) 825-4264
- Alabama Forestry Commission (800) 492-3711
(To Report Wildfires)
- Geological Survey of Alabama (205) 247-3636