Products & Programs
Recommended for children in kindergarten through 4th grade.
It can be challenging for young children to learn English if it is not spoken regularly at home. The Bilingual Lend an EAR: Environmental Awareness through Reading story time series offers an opportunity to engage Spanish-speaking students through reading and interactive activities. Listening to a natural resource book read aloud can help bilingual students develop their English language skills, confidence, and general reading abilities, while increasing environmental awareness.
Students who only speak English will be able to connect with their Spanish-speaking classmates in a new way, while fostering environmental appreciation. The series is open to both parents and teachers looking to diversify or supplement their home or classroom instruction. This series immerses young students in Spanish and English reading comprehension activities focused on environmental topics. If you are a teacher and interested in receiving a bilingual reading toolkit, reach out to Kerry Steedley.
Tune in on Tuesdays
When: Every other Tuesday, March 16 through April 27, from 10 until 11 a.m. CT.
Where: Zoom, an online video presentation format.
There is no cost to attend, but registration is required for this story time series. The Zoom meeting number and link will be provided upon completion of the online registration. Visit www.aces.edu/go/bilingual-lendanear-register to register.
New to Zoom? Visit the Zoom website to watch a video that will help you prepare to attend. You do not have to set up a Zoom account to participate.
Schedule, Topics, and Book Titles*
- March 16 – Water Quality and Appreciation
- Book – I Know the River Loves Me / Yo sé que el río me ama by Maya Christina Gonzalez, author and illustrator.
- Teacher’s Guide
- March 30 – Wildlife and Habitats
- Book – ¡Olinguito, from A to Z! Unveiling the Cloud Forest / ¡Olinguito, de la A a la Z! Descubriendo el bosque nublado. by Lulu Delacre, author and illustrator.
- Teacher’s Guide and Activity Guide
- April 13 – Wildlife and Habitats
- April 27 – Gardening
- Book – TBD
Take the Survey
Did you join us for a Bilingual Lend and EAR webinar? We want to hear from you! Take just a minute or two and fill out the short survey below and tell us what you think. These surveys not only help better our programs but also help determine federal and state funding. This funding allows us to continue providing affordable, research-based education to you and your family.
UESEP: Urban Environmental Science Education Program provides adults and youth with natural resource conservation strategies that lead to improved environmental awareness and stewardship.
The Alabama Cooperative Extension System (Alabama A&M University and Auburn University) is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Everyone is welcome! Please let us know if you have accessibility needs.
* Book links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Alabama Cooperative Extension System of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. The Alabama Cooperative Extension System bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.