Grandparent scams cause older adults to lose millions each year. This imposter scheme involves a person who pretends to be a loved one who is sick or in trouble in order to deceive the person being called. Some common things you can do to protect yourself from becoming a victim are given in the following video.
Content below reflects the text in the graphics of the video:
- Phone Scams: “Grandpa, I’m in the hospital. Please, send money.”
- Phone Scams: “Grandma, I’m stuck overseas. I need help! Send money.”
- Here are a few things to remember.
- Do not act immediately!
- Ask questions only you and your relative can answer.
- Check the story with family members and friends
- Do not keep it a secret!
- Never send cash, gift cards, wire transfers, or money grams.
- Avoid grandparent phone scams.