Learn about new and exciting opportunities in 4-H during the 2019 Alabama 4-H Midwinter Leadership Retreat at the Alabama 4-H Center! Learn valuable leadership skills by participating in workshops February 1–3, 2019. Register through 4HOnline.
Midwinter 2019 Goals
- Learn about new and exciting opportunities in 4-H.
- Reach out to other youth.
- Learn valuable leadership skills.
- Help others through community service.
- Motivate senior 4-H members to stay active on the local level.
- Make the best better.
The Midwinter Teen Leadership Retreat is for enrolled seniors (4-H ages 14 to 18).
A one-time, nonrefundable payment of $130 per person is due with registration. The last day to register is Wednesday, January 9. Registration is limited to the first 120 participants. Registration covers two nights lodging, meals, supplies, and a t-shirt.
Young people who drive themselves will be required to check in their car keys to Joy Scott after they check into their rooms.
4-H Foundation Regional Extension Agent (FREA) expenses will come from his or her allotted travel account.
Youth should follow the guidelines of the Alabama 4-H Dress Code. Youth may want to bring dinner party attire for the banquet Saturday night. For the rest of the event, they will need causal or sport clothes. They should prepare for cold weather and rain. Each participant must bring a pair of closed-toe shoes.
Each county is to send at least one adult from its 4-H county team or a volunteer (age 21 or older) with its county delegation. Volunteer leaders must have been screened or trained and have received letters of acceptance as a county volunteer from the county Extension coordinator or appropriate 4-H FREA.
Each youth must bring a paper copy of the Alabama 4-H Youth Consent Form or complete the form in 4HOnline.
- Past: 1,2,3
- Present: 2,3,1
- Future: 3,1,2
- Insights: Everybody’s personality is different. In this workshop, you will learn about your own personality as well as how to work with others.
- Time Flies and So Do Germs: Germs spread as quickly as time travels. Get ready to engage in a science experiment that shows you just how fast germs spread.
- The Royal Ball: Discover the dance of kings and queens as you learn to waltz as they did in medieval times. Join us as we dance our way back to the past. During registration in 4HOnline, everyone can pick out a song to be played.
- Shooting Back in Time: Learn about bows and arrows and how they were used by people to hunt for their food. Let’s shoot back in time together and learn about their world.
- Driving Through Time: Whenever you travel through different eras, you might break down. Grease up with us as we learn about valuable life skills dealing with car maintenance.
- Blast from the Past: Explore different cultures from each corner of the world. Travel with us through different eras and discover how people had fun.
- Unity Circle: People may be different on the outside, but we are all the same on the inside! We all have different characteristics, but we all must unite as one to overcome bullying. Come along with us as we flash through together to stop bullies.
- Twin sheets and blanket or sleeping bag
- Towels and washcloths
- Enough clothing for three days
- Tennis shoes (closed-toe-shoes)
- Warm clothes for activities
- Banquet attire
- Warm jacket
- Personal hygiene items
|Friday, February 1|
|9:00 a.m.||Closing Ceremony Slide Show||Upper Rec|
|7:45 a.m.||Flag Raising||Flag Pole|
|7:30 a.m||Inspirational (optional)||Lodge|
|Sunday, February 3|
|11:00 p.m.||Lights Out||Dorms|
|After Ball||Dance||Upper Rec|
|7:00 p.m.||The Grand Ball||Cafeteria|
|4:45 p.m.–6:50 p.m.||Free Time|
|3:30 p.m.–4:30 p.m.||Game Time||Upper Rec|
|2:45 p.m.–3:15 p.m.||County Share Time with Surveys, Q&A, and Photo Booth||Determined by Agent|
|1:30 p.m.–2:30 p.m.||Unity Circle||Rec Field|
|12:30 p.m.–1:15 p.m.||Lunch||Cafeteria|
|11:05 a.m.–12:05 p.m.||Driving Through Time||EE Parking|
|10:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m.||The Royal Ball||Upper Rec|
|8:55 a.m.–9:55 a.m.||Shooting Back in Time||Archery Field|
|8:15 a.m.–8:50 a.m.||Breakfast||Cafeteria|
|8:00 a.m.||Flag Raising, Pledge of Allegiance, 4-H Pledge, Inspiration||Flag Pole|
|Saturday, February 2|
|11:30 p.m.||Lights Out||Dorms|
|10:05 p.m.–10:30 p.m.||Dorm Meet and Greet then Dismissal||Upper Rec|
|9:10 p.m.–10:00 p.m.||Culture||Upper Rec|
|8:10 p.m.–9:00 p.m.||Icebreakers, Happy Grams, and Social||Upper Rec|
|7:10 p.m.–8:00 p.m.||Insights||Theater|
|6:10 p.m.–7:00 p.m.||Time Flies and So Do Germs||Upper Rec|
|5:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.||Dinner||Cafeteria|
|4:15 p.m.–4:50 p.m.||Opening Ceremonies||Upper Rec|
|3:30 p.m.–4:00 p.m.||Registration||Upper Rec|