Home & Family
AUBURN UNIVERSITY, Ala. — Put a spin on the kids’ favorite meal with Live Well Alabama’s Power Mac and Cheese. This twist on a class family favorite will feed the whole family and provide a healthy comfort food when the weather drops.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons flour
- Milk, 2 cups
- Cheddar cheese, shredded, 2 cups
- Broccoli, cooked and chopped in small pieces, 2 cups
Cut-up any leftover broccoli for a grab-and-go snack.
- Cook macaroni, following instructions on the package.
- Drain cooked macaroni and return to pan.
- While macaroni is still warm, sprinkle in flour and stir thoroughly.
- Over medium heat, slowly stir milk into macaroni.
- Add cheese.
- Stir over medium heat until milk and cheese thicken into a creamy sauce, approximately seven to 10 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli; heat thoroughly.
Want to learn more? Step-by-step instructions for the Power Mac and Cheese recipe and an instructional video are available at LiveWellAlabama.com.
Live Well Alabama is a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed) initiative developed by the Alabama Cooperative Extension System at Auburn University. This initiative reaches residents across the state with research-based education.
“Our recipes are great for getting kids to help in the kitchen,” said Katie Funderburk, Alabama Extension’s SNAP-Ed coordinator. “Kids are more likely to try new foods when they helped make them.”
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. Live Well Alabama provides numerous recipes that are simple and budget friendly.
For more information about Live Well Alabama and to find more Live Well Alabama recipes, visit www.LiveWellAlabama.com. Also, check out more Live Well Alabama tips and recipes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.