Home & Family
AUBURN UNIVERSITY, Ala. — Cold winter mornings deserve a hot, nutritious breakfast to get the day started off on the right foot. Add in a few vegetables and beans for more protein and a hearty breakfast awaits without much fuss.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Half of a medium onion, chopped
- One 14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Four large eggs
- Cooking spray
- Four medium tortillas, whole wheat
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup salsa
This recipe can also be used for a lunch or dinner for a change of pace.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, beans, black pepper, salt and garlic powder. Cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Move beans and vegetables to a clean plate or bowl.
- Mix eggs in a small bowl with a fork.
- Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel. Coat with cooking spray. Heat at medium-low heat.
- Add the egg mixture, and cook about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir often to scramble the eggs.
- Spoon the egg mixture into the center of each tortilla. Add the beans and vegetables, and sprinkle cheese on top. Add a spoonful of salsa. Fold into a burrito.
Want to learn more? Step-by-step instructions for Hearty Egg Burritos recipe and an instructional video are available at LiveWellAlabama.com.
Live Well Alabama is a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed) initiative developed by the Alabama Cooperative Extension System at Auburn University. This initiative reaches residents across the state with research-based education.
“Cooking at home on a regular basis is a key ingredient to overall health, and it doesn’t have to be difficult or break the bank,” said Katie Funderburk, Alabama Extension’s SNAP-Ed Coordinator. “Our recipes are inexpensive, easy to prepare and don’t require fancy kitchen equipment.”
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. Live Well Alabama provides numerous recipes that are simple and budget friendly.
For more information about Live Well Alabama and to find more Live Well Alabama recipes, visit www.LiveWellAlabama.com. Also, check out more Live Well Alabama tips and recipes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.