Home & Family
AUBURN UNIVERSITY, Ala. – This bright and colorful recipe from the Live Well Kitchen isn’t lacking in flavor. Live Well Alabama’s Fiesta Confetti is a spicy, veggie-loaded appetizer that will be a great addition to any meal.
“Not only is this dip loaded with nutrients from the variety of veggies, but it’s also lower in sodium than most store-bought salsas thanks to the two easy steps of rinsing the canned items and making your own seasoning rather than using a taco seasoning mix.”
-Katie Funderburk, Alabama SNAP-Ed Coordinator
- Three Roma tomatoes, diced
- One to two jalapeño peppers, fresh, diced with seeds removed
- Three large sweet bell peppers (any color)
- One can black beans, 15 ounces, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 2/3 cup onion, red or white, diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Use fresh, frozen or canned corn. Drain and rinse with canned corn, and thaw first if frozen corn. For more heart-healthy fats, add fresh avocado.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss well to cover vegetables evenly with spices and lime juice.
- Serve immediately or chill with whole-grain chips or crackers.
Want to learn more? Step-by-step instructions for the Fiesta Confetti recipe and an instructional video are available at LiveWellAlabama.com.
Live Well Alabama
Live Well Alabama is a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed) initiative developed by the Alabama Cooperative Extension System at Auburn University. This initiative reaches residents across the state with research-based education.
“Live Well Alabama recipes are meant to equip people of all ages and experience levels to prepare healthier foods for themselves and their families,” Funderburk said.
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. Live Well Alabama provides numerous recipes that are simple and budget-friendly.
For more information about Live Well Alabama and to find more Live Well Alabama recipes, visit www.LiveWellAlabama.com. Also, check out more Live Well Alabama tips and recipes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.