Home & Family
AUBURN UNIVERSITY, Ala. – Mamma Mia! Transport yourself to the isles of Greece with the delicious Greek Island Salad from Live Well Alabama this Food Friday!
“White beans, like Cannellini (white kidney) or Great Northern beans, are great sources of protein and fiber. They have a rich, nutty flavor and maintain their shape and texture well in salads.”
-Katie Funderburk, Alabama Extension nutrition specialist, and registered dietitian
- Three tablespoons vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- One tablespoon Greek seasoning
- Two cans white beans, 16 ounces, drained
- One can quartered artichoke hearts, 15 ounces, drained
- One jar roasted red peppers, drained
- One cucumber, diced
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ red onion, diced
Make your own Greek seasoning!
- Two teaspoons of garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano and salt
- One teaspoon of pepper, dried parsley, dried rosemary, dried dill and cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of thyme and nutmeg
- Mix all spices
Chopped fresh bell pepper can be used instead of roasted red peppers.
Add the beans, artichokes, peppers, cucumber, tomatoes and onion to the bowl. Next, combine vinegar, oil and the seasoning then stir. Chill and serve.
Want to learn more? Step by step instructions for the Greek Island Salad recipe, as well as an instructional video, are available at LiveWellAlabama.com.
Live Well Alabama
Live Well Alabama is a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed) initiative developed by the Alabama Cooperative Extension System at Auburn University. This initiative reaches residents across the state with research-based education.
“Live Well Alabama recipes are all about trying fruits and veggies in tasty, easy and budget-friendly ways,” Funderburk said. “Our recipes are easy to prepare, and they don’t require any fancy kitchen equipment!”
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. Live Well Alabama provides numerous recipes that are simple and budget friendly.