Home & Family
Alabama Urban Home *A* Syst: Learn to protect your home, health, and the environment
What is the Alabama Urban Home *A* Syst Program?
There are potential sources of pollution that can affect you, your family, your community, and the environment in every large or small, new or old, city or county home.
The Alabama Urban Home *A* Syst Program is a confidential, self- assessment program designed to help you identify potential health and environmental risks on residential or commercial property. Once those risks are identified, voluntary actions are recommended to help you reduce those risks and to prevent serious problems.
Why should I be interested in the Alabama Urban Home *A* Syst Program?
The Alabama Urban Home *A* Syst Program is designed for the state’s growing urban population. Although it is similar to other Home*A* Syst programs across the nation, this program is designed to address issues more commonly found in Alabama’s urban environments. However, it is applicable to all state residents that care about their health, home environment, or their family’s safety whether they live in an apartment, mobile home, condo, or house.
Anyone that is willing to take steps, no matter how small, can make significant improvements regarding home management and personal safety. Such efforts will lessen adverse impacts on the environment and reduce dependency on the state’s natural resources.
How does the Alabama Urban Home *A*Syst work?
This Alabama Urban Home *A* Syst Program follows four key steps.
- A simple checklist is used to determine what potential problems exist in or near your home.
- Information is provided to explain why certain conditions or practices can threaten your health or the environment.
- Environmental risk assessment is then completed by our to determine if your risk levels are high, medium, or low.
- Preventive measures are offered to help you take the necessary steps toward removing potential sources of pollution from your home and the environment.
- Help citizens identify environmental risks, concerns, or problems in and around their home.
- Increase citizens’ knowledge of household hazards and their impact on human health and the environment.
- Help citizens to adopt best management practices and to take preventive actions that safeguard their health and the environment.
What topics are covered in the Alabama Urban Home *A* Syst Program?
- Site assessment: Protecting water quality around your home.
- Runoff Management
- Lawn and Garden care
- Storage and handling of hazardous household products
- Automotive products: Storage and handling
- Household wastewater treatment
- indoor Air Quality: Reducing health risk and improving the air you breathe
- Managing household waste: Preventing, reusing, recycling, and composting.
Home *A* Syst is a national program implemented in the United States.
Alabama A&M University
Dr. Rudy Pacumbaba
Office: (256) 372-2466
Calhoun County Extension Office
Office: (256) 237-1621
Jefferson County Extension Office
Office: (205) 879-6964
Madison County Extension Office
Office: (256) 532-1578
Mobile County Extension Office
Office: (256) 574-8445
Montgomery County Extension Office
Office: (334) 270-4133
Morgan County Extension Office
Office: (256) 974-2468