Home & Family
What is Urban 4-H LIFE
- In the name Urban 4-H LIFE, LIFE is an acronym for Living Interactive Family Education
- Urban 4-H LIFE is a 12-month mentoring program for delinquent youth ages 12-18.
- The program is designed to reduce juvenile delinquency, drug abuse, truancy, and other high-risk behaviors.
- Urban 4-H LIFE provides group, peer and one-on-one mentoring services in an effort to enhance decision-making and communication skills.
How Urban 4-H LIFE Works
Urban 4-H LIFE utilizes the six concepts of mentoring outlined in the Elements of Effective Practice for Mentoring Guide™ which are:
- Monitoring & support
Using these steps to approve and train mentors ensures that we achieve the intended positive impacts on the youth we serve. The success of our mentoring program greatly depends on the attraction and commitment of mentors who embrace the challenge and opportunity to influence the life of a younger person.
Note: Each mentor is required to undergo a background check and must commit to 12 months of mentoring.
Impact of Mentoring on Delinquency
While mentoring is a common component in youth development programs, mentoring juvenile delinquents is just as critical.
- Mentoring is effective in reducing the chances of youth being re-arrested or becoming a permanent part of the criminal justice system.
- Mentoring helps youth to focus on school work and on finding employment.
- Mentoring helps students to develop positive social skills.
- Mentoring reduces aggressive behavior and alcohol/drug use among high-risk youth.
Alabama A&M University – State Office
Dr. Angela Williams
Office: (256) 372-5713