How many times do you sit down with a snack in front of the television, computer, or phone? Before you know it an entire snack has been consumed without even thinking or really tasting the food. That is how easy mindless eating can happen. Life can get so busy making it so easy to mindlessly eat. Occasional mindless eating is okay, but on a daily basis this can lead to consumption of too many extra calories. So if this sounds like you, don’t panic or stress. There are several tips to help individuals practice mindful eating.
The concept of mindful eating may sound unusual, but it is a great tool to help reach your personal nutritional goals. Mindful eating allows individuals to reconnect with their bodies. It also encourages people to stop focusing all of their energy on what and how much they eat but rather how they eat.
Mindful eating focuses on listening to personal internal cues versus diet rules. This allows individuals to develop a healthy relationship with food. A healthy relationship with food empowers people to maintain a healthy weight and body image. Here are a few tips to help on a mindful eating journey:
- Remove all distractions while eating. Focus on your food and the company around you.
- Slow down, don’t rush through the meal. Make sure to set aside at least 20 minutes to eat a meal.
- Take time to focus on different flavors and textures of food. Focus your thoughts on the quality of the food versus quantity.
- Listen to your body for hunger and fullness cues. Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full.
- Choose foods that fuel your body. Take the emphasis off of what you can or can’t eat and focus on supplying your body with a variety of foods.