AUBURN UNIVERSITY, Ala.—Registration is now open for the eleventh annual Deep South Stocker Conference. The conference is set for July 17 -18 at the Animal & Dairy Science Livestock Instructional Arena in Athens, Georgia.
Kim Mullenix, an Alabama Extension beef cattle specialist, said while at the conference, producers will hear from a diverse field of experts.
“Participants will have the opportunity to hear from experts on topics related to calf health management, nutrition, economics and marketing,” Mullenix said. “There will also be hands-on demonstrations as well as opportunities to interact with speakers and other participants.”
This year’s conference highlights several speakers from across the country presenting information on a variety of topics.
- Beef Cattle Outlook
- Chris Prevatt, The University of Florida, Ona
- Receiving Nutrition
- Jason Smith, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Feedlot Feedback
- Shane Tiffany, Tiffany Cattle Company, Inc., Herrington, KS
- Technologies and Strategies for Diagnosing Sick Cattle
- Brent Credille, The University of Georgia, Athens
- Mineral Supplementation
- Matt Hersom, The University of Florida, Gainesville
- Beef Quality Assurance – Transportation Training
- Jesse Fulton, National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, Denver, CO
There are also a number of hands-on demonstrations on the schedule for participants to engage in.
- Necropsy Demonstration
- Brad Heins and Brent Credille, The University of Georgia, Athens
- Understanding Animal Disease Chute-Side
- Lee Jones, The University of Georgia, Tifton
- What’s Going on in the Rumen?
- Lawton Stewart, The University of Georgia, Athens
- Rumen Anatomy and Physiology
- Francis Fluharty, The University of Georgia, Athens
Registration cost for the conference is $100. Participants can register online at www.deepsouthstocker.org or through the mail. To register by mail, print a registration form and send the completed form and a check to:
The Deep South Stocker Conference
c/o Lawton Stewart
425 River RD
The University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-2771
Make checks payable to UGA ADS – Deep South Stocker Conference
For more information on the conference, visit the conference website at www.deepsouthstocker.org. There, you will find a full schedule, as well as registration information, sponsors, contact information and much more. This conference is a joint effort between Alabama Extension, Mississippi State Extension and the University of Georgia Extension.