This webinar series will provide small and backyard flock owners an opportunity to learn from other poultry owners in Alabama and collaborate with specialists from Alabama Extension.
When: Tuesdays, May 31 through July 5 at 1:30 p.m. CT
Where: The webinars are presented through Zoom, an online video presentation format.
Registration is required to attend this webinar series. The Zoom meeting number and link will be provided upon completion of the online registration. Visit www.aces.edu/go/2660 to register.
New to Zoom? Visit the Zoom website to watch a video that will help you prepare to attend.
Dates and Topics
- May 31 – Cost Cutting Ideas (Farmers Panel)
- Kayla King, Clayhill Farms & Gardens LLC
- Luke Stephens, JLC Farms
- Lucas Ramirez, BDA Farm
- June 7 – Slaughter Process and Regulations for Selling Meat
- Dianna Bourassa, Alabama Extension poultry science specialist and Auburn University College of Agriculture assistant professor
- June 14 – Common Poultry Diseases and Biosecurity
- Ken Macklin, Alabama Extension poultry science specialist and Auburn University College of Agriculture professor
- June 21 – Feeds and Nutrition
- Wilmer Pacheco, Alabama Extension poultry science professional and Auburn University College of Agriculture associate professor
- June 28 – Egg Food Safety and Selling Eggs
- Alice Moore, Alabama Extension food safety and quality regional agent
- Kristin Woods, Alabama Extension regional agent of poultry, commercial horticulture, and food safety and quality
- July 5 – Pest Prevention and Control (Farmers Panel)
Alabama Extension Resources
The following publications are great resources for backyard poultry producers:
- Backyard Poultry Worm Control
- Enhancing Egg Quality & Safety in Small Flocks
- Exemptions from USDA Inspection for Small-Scale Poultry Processors
- Home Layer Flock Management Suggestions
- Making LIFE Work – Raising Your Own Chickens? Think First
- Nutrition for Backyard Chicken Flocks
- Avian Influenza FAQ
- Biosecurity for Backyard Poultry Flocks
- Don’t Get Sick From Backyard Poultry
- Protecting Backyard Flocks
- Guidance for Determining Whether a Poultry Slaughter or Processing Operation is Exempt from Inspection Requirements Poultry Products Inspection Act –USDA.gov
- Alabama Shell Egg Law – fma.alabama.gov
- Alabama Farmers Market Guidelines – fma.alabama.gov
For more information on the Backyard & Small Flock Poultry Program, contact Chris Becker at firstname.lastname@example.org. Have other questions about backyard poultry? Contact a member of the Alabama Extension poultry team found on the Meet the Team – Poultry webpage.