Heavy rains in north and central Alabama have caused flooding across parts of the state. While north Alabama is most acutely affected, rivers and creeks in central Alabama will continue to rise as well. Expect rivers farther south to rise as river systems pick up the flood waters from upstream.
Now is the time to prepare for potential flooding and possible power outages. Taking the time to plan and prepare now can help reduce potential impacts on you, your home and your business. The resources below provide information to help you recognize warning signs and alerts, stock for emergencies and identify other things you can do to prepare for your family’s basic needs.
Monitor conditions via a weather radio as well as media. It’s more important to be prepared and to pay attention for alerts and warnings that may be issued.
Flood Preparation Resources
- Emergency Preparedness Part 1
- Emergency Preparedness Part 2
- Stock the Basics for Emergencies
- Caregivers’ Guide for Sheltering and Evacuating
- Diabetes in an Emergency
- Emergency Preparation for Dogs
- Food and Water Safety When the Power Goes Out
- Food Storage Charts
- Preparing to Evacuate a Farm
- Standby Generators for Emergency Power
- Protecting Technology and Data