Business & Community
What is Business 1-on-1?
- Current and aspiring entrepreneurs gain advice in business operations: marketing, finance, industry regulations.
- Business 1-on-1 provides opportunities for current and aspiring entrepreneurs to openly discuss business-related topics.
- Business 1-on-1 mentors entrepreneurs to start a business or to improve current business operations.
- Business 1-on-1 focuses on marketing, financial & business management, industry regulations,
- leadership influence, how to obtain & develop business assets (cash, goods, and services), and evaluate the current state of a business.
Who is Business 1-on-1 for?
- Business 1-on-1 is for current or aspiring small business owners of all ages and backgrounds.
- We welcome all business owners from those that operate individually from a home office, to those with commercial storefronts, office space, and employees.
What is the goal of Business 1-on-1?
- Small businesses are critical to the economic growth, success and sustainability of a community. The goal of this program is to strengthen economic and community development by helping small businesses to take the next step.
Traits that Entrepreneurs Share
- Passion for their work.
- Self-starters or highly motivated people.
- Disciplined with a focus on making their business work.
- Courageous and willing to take risks.
- Strong people skills that are needed to sell a product and to motivate staff.
- Creative people who find that special niche in the market to make their product or service unique and valuable to consumers.
Small Business Facts
- You must have a business license or permit before operating a business in Alabama.
- More than 30 million small businesses exist in the United States, employing 60 million people or 48% of the labor force in the private industry (SBA, 2018).
- Small businesses help to reduce unemployment, introduce new products and services, and stimulate economic growth.
- The average age of a successful startup entrepreneur is 45 (HBR, 2018).
- In Alabama, small businesses employ about 776,000 people or 48% of the private workforce.
Contact a Business 1-on-1 representative
State Office – Alabama A&M University
Dr. Kimberly Sinclair Holmes