3 min read
picture of a grant application with a pen

The Dallas County Extension office is working with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)’s Rural Development Program to help homeowners affected by the January 12 tornado in Selma, Alabama. USDA’s Rural Development Program offers loans and grants to help homeowners make necessary home repairs.

Dallas County Extension personnel will focus on assisting those who are working to repair homes damaged by the January 12 conditions. While the USDA Rural Development Program is not limited to those with damage from the storm, local Extension assistance with applications is limited to those affected by the tornado.

The Section 504 Home Repair program can provide loans for low and very-low-income homeowners to repair, improve, or modernize their homes or grants to elderly and very-low-income homeowners.

Appointments are available Tuesdays and Thursdays through June 29 to help community members complete application packets. Dallas County citizens who would like assistance should call the Extension office at 334-875-3200 to schedule an appointment or to learn more about requirements. Read more about the Single Family Housing Repair Loans and Grants on the USDA website.

The checklist included below is copied from USDA HB-1-3550, Attachment 12-E. Contact the Dallas County office for the complete checklist.

Checklist of Items to Accompany Application for Home Repair Loan or Grant Funds

Applicants should be prepared to provide multiple types of contact information, as well as a mailing address.

Required Forms

  • Form 410-4, “Uniform Residential Loan Application” complete, sign and date pages 5 & 8.
  • Form 3350-1 “Authorization to Release Information” for each adult household member.
  • Form 3550-4, “Employment & Asset Certification” for each household member.


  • Verification of all household income. To qualify for the program, a household’s adjusted income must be within the established income limit based on size and location. Below are some examples of income that may be applicable to all household members and what should be provided to the Agency.
    • Copies of the last four week’s consecutive pay stubs.
    • Copies of recent benefit statements for regular unearned income (such as social security, public assistance, retirement income, etc.).
    • Last 12 month payment history of alimony and/or child support received as a provided by the court appointed entity responsible for handling payments. If this is not available, a copy of the separation agreement or divorce decree.
  • For each applicant, a complete copy of their last two signed and filed Federal Income Tax Returns. IRS Form W-2, “Wage and Tax Statement,” and/or IRS Form 1099-MISC, “Miscellaneous Income,” must be attached. For returns mailed to the IRS, provide a copy of the signed document. For returns filed electronically, include a copy of the signature page with the Self-Select PIN, confirmation that the return was accepted, or evidence that it was filed by an authorized E-File provider.
  • For each non-retired applicant, a written explanation of employment history of less than two years or employment gaps in excess of 30 day within the last two years.

Assets, Credit, Other Documentation

  • For each applicant, a copy of their two most recent asset/bank statements. (Note that if you are obtaining this information through online banking, you should print your bank statement, as opposed to printing the online transaction history.)
  • For each applicant, a written explanation for late payments, collections, judgments, or other derogatory items in their credit history of which they may be aware. If applicants are unsure what their credit history looks like, they can obtain a free credit report by calling 1-877-322- 8228 or logging into http://www.annualcreditreport.com. By law, individuals are entitled to receive one free credit file disclosure every 12 months from each of the nationwide consumer credit reporting companies – Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. This free report cannot replace the credit report that the Agency will obtain to determine eligibility.
  • For each applicant, verification of their identity. A copy of a Government-issued photo identification, evidence of date of birth (only required if not listed on the photo identification).
  • For a household member who is a full-time student and 18 years of age or older, a copy of their school transcript.
  • If applicable, provide written evidence of child care expenses for dependents 12 years of age or younger.
  • If applicable, evidence of out of pocket annual medical expenses (for applicants 62 years of age and older, or individuals with a disability) who wish to be considered for a deduction to household income.

Property Information

  • Evidence of Ownership: Copy of Deed, or other documentation.
  • Tax Statement: Most recent property tax assessment and annual statement, if applicable. Insurance: Evidence of homeowner’s hazard or flood coverage, if applicable.
  • Repair Bid(s) including an itemized description of repairs, material, labor, and a copy of Contractor’s license, if applicable.
  • Mortgage Statement: Most recent copy of mortgage statement, if applicable. Photos of repair(s) and the front and back of property.