The Marshall County 4-H/Cattleman’s Beef Cook Off will be held March 5, 2019, at 6:00 p.m. at the Guntersville Courthouse.
- Students must register for the cook off prior to the event at www.al.4honline.com or by calling the Marshall County Extension Office at (256) 582-2009. Please do not create a new 4HOnline profile. There is likely already one for you. Contact the Extension office or email firstname.lastname@example.org for your username/password combination. For FCS students, please email your name, birthdate, school, and FCS teacher to email@example.com.
- Registration Deadline is Friday, March 1, 2019.
- Each contestant should prepare his/her beef dish before arriving to the contest.
- Turn in time for prepared dishes is 5:45 p.m. on the evening of the cook off. By arriving early, you will have ample time to make your final preparation to your dish before sending to the judges table.
- The recipe must be cooked and ready to serve when contestants turn in dish by 5:45 p.m.
- A portion of the prepared dish will be microwave heated during judging, if appropriate, prior to being presented to the judges.
- Recipes must:
- List beef as the main ingredient.
- Include only fresh beef products that are found at your supermarket.
- Limit sodium and fat in the recipe.
- Student must have been enrolled in at least one Family and Consumer Science class while attending an Alabama public middle or high school.
- Student must abide by proper ServSafe food preparation rules while preparing their dish for the beef cook off. Any product that is not deemed safe or edible by the cook off judges will be automatically disqualified from the contest.
- Your dish will be judged on appearance, flavor intensity, palatability, healthfulness, and nutritional balance.
- Beginner: 4th–6th graders
- Junior: 7th–9th graders (Winners advance to state competition)
- Senior: 10th–12th graders (Winners advance to state competition)