Solve the Mystery…Unlock the Leader Within
4-H Midwinter 2023
- Explore new and exciting opportunities in 4-H.
- Reach out to other young people.
- Attend workshops to learn valuable leadership skills.
- Help others through community service.
- Motivate senior 4-H’ers to stay active on the local level.
- Make the best better.
The Midwinter Leadership Retreat is for enrolled seniors (4-H ages 14 to 18).
Midwinter will be held February 3–5, 2023. Registration is now open in 4Honline and closes January 13, 2023. The cost is $140 and includes lodging, meals, a Midwinter T-shirt, and supplies.
- Bring Your Own Detective (Your Money Your Life): Calling all detectives! How well do you think you can budget? 4-H’ers in this workshop will navigate the journey of budgeting through the lens of a 26–year–old adult. This case may seem easy to the solver; however, unexpected events could come your way to throw you off your path. It’s up to you to be your own detective.
- Case Solving: The Teen Edition (Mental Health/Navigating Teenage Life): In this workshop, we’ll be tackling everyone’s #1 suspect— mental health. Alabama 4-H State Ambassadors have investigated this tough topic and are ready to guide you through it. This heart-to-heart style presentation will cover everything from mental wellness, coping methods, respecting yourself and others, and much more.
Groups for the 1st Day:
- Actors (1, 2)
- Producers (2,1)
- Decoding Leadership & Communication (How to Be an Effective Leader & Communicator): Even the best super sleuths have a hard time decoding the ins and outs of leadership. Luckily, our very own Nash Gilbert has come up with the key to unlocking your leader within. This workshop will feature a fabulous interactive presentation and team-building exercises to crack the code of communication and leadership.
- ESCAPE! (Advanced Scavenger Hunt): Time to put your thinking caps on! All great detectives need to develop crucial problem-solving and quick-thinking skills to solve a mystery—and mystery will be a major factor of this hands-on, thrilling workshop.
- STEM League Station (Break the Code): A good detective often needs to break a code to solve a mystery! This workshop will challenge you to break down the code of DNA in our foods. Participants will also write their own code in invisible ink.
Groups for the 2nd Day:
- Witnesses (1, 2, 3)
- Suspects (3, 1, 2)
- Detectives (2, 3, 1)
|Friday, February 3, 2022|
|5:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.||Registration|
|6:00 p.m. – 6:10 p.m.||Opening Ceremonies|
|6:10 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.||Ice Breakers|
|6:30 p.m. − 7:15 p.m.||Workshop Rotation|
|7:20 p.m. − 8:05 p.m.||Workshop Rotation|
|8:15 p.m. − 9:45 p.m.||Games|
|10:05 p.m. − 10:20 p.m.||Wrap-Up/Dismissal|
|11:15 p.m.||Lights Out|
|Saturday, February 4, 2022|
|8:00 a.m. – 8:50 a.m.||Breakfast|
|8:50 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.||Pledge of Allegiance, 4-H Pledge, Inspirational|
|9:10 a.m. – 9:55 a.m.||Workshop Rotation|
|10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.||Workshop Rotation|
|11:05 a.m. – 12:05 p.m.||Workshop Rotation|
|12:10 p.m. – 1:15 p.m.||Lunch|
|1:15 p.m. – 1:25 p.m.||Morning Recap|
|1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.||Ambassador Interrogation|
|2:45 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.||County Share Time with Surveys and Q&As|
|3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.||Free Time|
|5:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.||County Photos|
|6:00 pm||Dinner |
The Grand Ball and Dance & Game Night
|11:00 p.m.||Lights Out|
|Sunday, February 5, 2022|
|7:30 a.m. – 7:45 p.m.||Inspirational|
|7:45 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.||Flag Raising|
|8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.||Breakfast|
Joy Scott, Extension Specialist, 4-H and Youth Development, Auburn University
Revised December 2023, Alabama 4-H Midwinter Teen Retreat 2023, 4HYD-2211