- Environmental Programs
- Information Center
- Environmental Publications
- Research Publications
- Research Activities
- Photo Gallery
- Video Gallery
- Related Links
- Contact Us
- Forestry, Wildlife & Natural Resource Management Home
- Urban Affairs Home
- 09/20 - Sensational salvias
- 09/21 - SAI Conference
- 10/02 - Lee County Fair
- 10/03 - Lee County Fair
- 10/04 - Lee County Fair
- 10/05 - Lee County Fair
- 10/06 - Lee County Fair
- 10/18 - Back to Basics: Fall Garden & Landscape Management
- 10/20 - Retree Jacksonville- Tornado Recovery Tree Giveaway
- 11/01 - Composting & Vermiculture
Forestry, Wildlife & Natural Resource Management
Educational information to respond to community needs related to electronic waste (e-waste) management is becoming increasingly important. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency the number of electronic products in households and businesses that are considered to be obsolete, broken, or irreparable is growing at 3 times the rate of household trash. Unfortunately, many of the materials used in these products are toxic to humans and the environment. Continued production of e-waste in such a rapid manner creates a need for improved education and understanding of issues associated with hazardous waste and development of environmentally safe solutions for controlling e-waste.
The E-Waste Institute at Alabama A&M University serves as a medium to educate, train, raise public awareness, and influence public policies about safe environmental practices for e-waste in Alabama and around the world.
- Advance the knowledge, skills, and abilities of individuals, communities, organizations, and companies to adopt environmentally supportive behaviors;
- Enhance the long-term health and well-being of citizens; and
- Support the competitive edge of the US in the global market.
- E-waste Institute Program Activities
- UNP-0144 E-Waste Institute Brochure
- E-waste Recycling Calculator
- ecoATM Kiosks Allow Huntsville Residents to Exchange Old Electronics for Cash
Help Emmitt and Emma Erase E-waste
The programs developed under the E-waste Institute aim to:
- Strengthen the capacity of the Institute by educating target audiences on the dangers associated with the use and disposal of e-waste.
- Empower citizens to effect change by engaging them in seminars that improve science-based knowledge concerning the dangers associated with waste resulting from the use on electronic products.
- Increase awareness of electronic waste pollution and its potential threat to the environment and public health.
- Disseminate best practices for e-waste recycling, reuse, and refurbishment.
Some examples of e-waste
- Car Batteries
- Cell Phones
- Digital Cameras
- DVD Players
- Fax Machines
- Lithium Batteries
- Computer Monitors
- MP3 Players
- Power Cables and Supplies
- Rechargeable Batteries
- Stereo Equipment
- Telephone Equipment
- Toner Cartridges
- Vacuum Cleaners
- Video Game Systems
The Institute is located on the campus of Alabama A&M in Carver Complex South, Room 215-A.
Drop off your old printer cartridges and cell phones TODAY!