- About Family Life Center
- Family Life Center Home
- Urban Home
- 04/27 - North Alabama Vintage Market Days
- 04/28 - ACES Electronic Waste Collection Event
- 04/28 - National Drug Take Back Program
- 04/28 - North Alabama Vintage Market Days
- 04/29 - North Alabama Vintage Market Days
- 04/29 - 2018 Association of Natural Resource Extension Professionals National Conference
- 04/30 - 2018 Association of Natural Resource Extension Professionals National Conference
- 05/01 - 2018 Association of Natural Resource Extension Professionals National Conference
- 05/01 - Winter Forage Alternatives Field Day & Workshop for Livestock Producers
- 05/01 - Winter Forage Alternatives Field Day and Workshop for Livestock Producers
Family Life Center
Serving individuals, families, & communities since 1999!
MyPlate can make You HEALTHIER
Make half your grains whole--Select 100% whole-grain cereals, breads, crackers, rice and pasta. Check the list of ingredients to be sure.
Make half you plate fruits and vegetables--Choose fresh, frozen or canned fruits and vegetable. Select dark green, red and orange vegetable; they have great nutritional benefits like sweet potatoes, broccoli and tomatoes.
Have dairy at every meal--Selecting low-fat milk, yogurt and cheese will provide you with essential vitamins and minerals; they are also good sources of protein.
Vary your protein--Eat a variety of proteins including seafood, poultry, eggs, peas, lean meats, beans, and nuts. Use low-fat preparation methods like baking, grilling, or roasting.
Cut back on foods high in solid fats, added sugar and salt--Read food labels and select foods and drinks with little or no added sugar. Reduce your salt intake by cooking with herbs and eat fewer foods that are high in solid fats.
Be physically active your way--Strive for 30 minutes of physical activity on most days of the week. You don’t have to perform them all at once, break your activities up into 10 minute intervals, if you need to, it all adds up!
By: Andrea Morris, Urban Nutrition Educator with the Alabama Cooperative Extension Systems. For more on MyPlate visit ChooseMyPlate.gov