- 08/25 - Beginner Computer Usage and Social Media Networking Workshops
- 08/27 - Graham Farm CYI Fun Day
- 08/30 - Beginner Computer Usage and Social Media Networking Workshops
- 08/31 - Senior Computer & Smart Technology Classes
- 09/02 - Coosa County- Market Day
- 09/07 - Business Requirements to Health Care Act
- 09/07 - Senior Computer & Smart Technology Classes
- 10/07 - Coosa County- Market Day
- 10/20 - 2016 St. Clair County Health Fair
Don't miss this final 2013 Webinar - Online Mapping and Spatial Resources for the Private Forest Landowner
Developing an Agri-Tourism
Attraction in Alabama
Agriculture and tourism are two of Alabama’s largest industries. Agriculture has been the traditional backbone of the state’s economy and had over a $7 billion impact last year. Tourism is a relatively new industry, yet its economic impact was also $7 billion. Imagine the possibilities if the two were to combine efforts. Leaders in both industries are beginning to do just that in selected areas. The result is agri-tourism.
This publication is designed to assist farmers and entrepreneurs in deciding if agri-tourism could enhance their incomes and to provide the initial basic information needed for an individual to develop an agri-tourism attraction.
Agri-tourism has had a significant history, both in Europe and in selected segments of the United States, such as the West and upper Midwest. Europe has long had the concept of the farm stay, where travelers stay on a working farm for a holiday or vacation. Minnesota was in the forefront of the agritourism movement in the early ‘70s, but interest soon waned. By the late ‘90s, interest had again picked up, primarily because of farmers wanting to produce additional income to be able to stay in agriculture. more...